In the faux library wood-panelled splendour of the former Didier French resto, Kwan serves delicate chinoiserie. Best are the soups and dim sum. They do a grouper with ginger, coriander and preserved egg soup that is the soul of delicacy and careful spicing. The hot and sour seafood soup has lots of perfectly cooked seafood in well balanced broth. We also favour the big fat chili garlic prawns and chili tofu with eggplant. There’s a wonderful rendition of three cup chicken with the classic rich soy, sesame and Chinese wine. But best is the dim sum. There are fab fresh scallops in rice dumpling, duck dumpling with intense duck taste, and sweet shrimp dumplings. Not yer frozen dim sum with dried out wrappers falling off the innards.
- 1496 Yonge St., Toronto (map)
- Chef: Ronnie Lam
- Cuisine: Dim Sum,Chinese
- Cost of dinner for two: $50
- Hours: Mon. to Fri. 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sat. to Sun. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Reservations: Yes
- Meals served: Lunch, dinner
- Veggie-friendly: Yes
- Wines available: 20+
- BYOB?: Yes
- Corkage fee: $15
- Private party area: Semi-private room
- Wheelchair accessible: No
- CC accepted: Yes (no American Express)
- Parking: Green P and street parking available