Patois happens when Chinese Jamaican food meets Toronto in a flash of fun. Kimchi potstickers pierogi style are tender little dumplings with beautifully caramelized onions, bacon and kimchi flavoured sour cream with scallions on top. Yum! Same deal with miniature Jamaican patties, properly flaky and jazzed with bacon, melted Swiss cheese and sriracha. When chef jerks lobster, we fall upon our knees. Spread with jerk-seasoned butter, fried hot and fast, it’s nouvelle finger-lickin’. As is Jamaican oxtail ramen lo mein. Superbly tender chunks of braised oxtail keep company with soft-fried noodles and bok choy in deep gingery brown sauce. Everything about Patois is what we love about Toronto: An ethnically hybrid cuisine in hipster garb.
- 794 Dundas St. W., Toronto (map)
- Chef: Craig Wong
- Cuisine: International,Canadian
- Cost of dinner for two: $65
- Hours: Tues. to Sat. 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Reservations: Yes (not for Brunch)
- Meals served: Brunch, dinner
- Veggie-friendly: Yes
- Wines available: 12
- BYOB?: Yes
- Corkage fee: $25
- Private party area: Can rent out entire venue
- Wheelchair accessible: No
- CC accepted: Yes (no American Express)
- Parking: Street parking, Green P nearby