India lives in Mimico, in a charmingly modern bistro with barnboard and Edison lights, and a kitchen influenced by stars in the Indian firmament: Curry chef Sujoy Saha came from the Indian Rice Factory and the tandoor guy, Mandy Jawle, cut his teeth at the Michelin-starred Junoon in NYC. Jawle’s hara mirch chicken tikka is divine: Marinated overnight with green chilies, mint and coriander, it is hot and jazzy and totally tender. Saha’s dals are dazzling, his eggplant a complex curry with coconut, ginger, sesame and tamarind. Their co-production of whole tandoori sea bream scented with carom seed and with curry sauce is as delicate as it gets. For dessert there is unusually restrained rasmalai — Indian’s answer to cottage cheese (but SO much better!) in cooked down milk cream with almonds. Tich’s sole weakness is less than stellar service, thanks to being too popular.
- 2314 Lakeshore Blvd. W., Toronto (map)
- Chef: Sujoy Saha, Mandy Jawle
- Cuisine: Indian
- Cost of dinner for two: $65
- Hours: Tues. to Thurs. 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Fri. to Sat. 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Sun. 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Reservations: Yes
- Meals served: Dinner (brunch coming soon)
- Veggie-friendly: Yes
- Wines available: 10+
- BYOB?: No
- Patio: Yes
- Private party area: Entire venue can be rented
- Wheelchair accessible: No
- CC accepted: Yes
- Parking: Street parking