Put your best foot forward in your job search! If you are looking for a job in retail visit Sherway Gardens Spring Job Fair (Hwy 427 & the QEW) on Saturday, May 5 from 9:30am – 5:30pm. Some of Sherway's fine retailers will be on site in Sherway Square recruiting for seasonal staff. Bring lots of copies of your resume and be prepared to interview on the spot! Call 416-621-1070 for more information or visit www.sherwaygardens.ca.
Some of the participating stores include: Aldo, The Bay, C! Opticians/Sunsations, Dynamite, Fossil, Koodo Mobile, Lenscrafters, Pottery Barn, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Sears Sherway, Sporting Life, Tristan, Victoria’s Secret and Wind Mobile.
Sherway Gardens has prepared some helpful tips on preparing for a job fair:
1. Research participating retailers in advance. This allows you to pose intelligent questions and demonstrate your interest in the organization.
2. Dress for success! You want to leave a lasting impression so make sure your clothes are neat, clean and professional.
3. Allow enough time to visit with employers. Spend at least 10-15 minutes with an employer and visit potential employers by yourself, not with a group of friends.
4. Be outgoing and friendly when approaching interviewers. Remember to smile, shake hands firmly, and make eye contact.
5. Be ready to be interviewed on the spot.
6. Speak slowly and confidently.
7. Create a 30 second elevator pitch in advance to sell yourself to potential employers – know your strengths and weaknesses.
8. Be prepared to answer basic questions about your skills, qualifications, education and career goals.
9. Don’t be scared to ask for clarification if you don’t understand the question.
10. An interview should not be one-sided. Ask your own questions.
11. Bring a pad of paper and a pen with you to write down brief notes after each interview. Make sure to write down any points that you need to follow-up on.
12. Ask for a business card or write down the interviewer’s name and contact information so that you can send them an email thanking them for the interview. Make sure you get the correct spelling of their name.
13. Bring several copies of your up-to-date resume with you and make sure to leave a copy with each interviewer. Pay close attention to ensure all spelling and grammar is correct.
14. Be cautious of your online presence and what information and images you share on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, potential employers may see these profiles.
15. Let the interviewer know you are interested in the position before leaving.
Following these tips will help in finding the right job!