Ice cream house in jeopardy of demolition

City staff is expected to complete heritage review in January


Published:

Local residents are scrambling to save a more-than-100-year-old home in the Casa Loma neighbourhood after Toronto and East York Community Council issued its purchaser a demolition permit last month. While City of Toronto: Heritage Preservation Services conducts a heritage review, there is little stopping the purchaser of 72 Wells Hill Ave. from moving ahead with demolition.

The Ontario Heritage Act requires that one of three criteria be met in order for a home to be designated with architectural, associative or contextual significance. Residents believe this home possesses all three. The architect who built the home, W. R. Gregg, worked on other important local projects from this period, such as the Timothy Eaton Memorial Church. Charles Neilson, son of the founder of the Neilson ice cream and chocolate empire, and president of the company for a period, lived in the home, which is believed to be one of the oldest on the street and in the area.

Coun. Joe Mihevc said Toronto and East York Community Council was bound by provincial law to approve the demolition permit, as the building permit was already in place. He added that because the purchaser can’t simply toss out the tenants now living there, heritage preservation services staff will likely have time to report back in January before the home is demolished.

“To lose the house would be a serious blow to heritage.”

Joel Farber, a lawyer for the purchaser, said his client disagrees with the contention that the home has associative value. If anything, the founder of Neilon’s Gladstone Avenue home and original factory does. The purchaser is currently trying to address any concerns residents may have.

But, Farber said, “He’s not willing to forgo any legal rights that he has.”

Brian Barron, a member of the Casa Loma Residents Association, said his group would be sympathetic if the owner wanted to repair and update the home, but it does not want to see the home demolished.

“To lose the house would be a serious blow to the heritage characteristics of the neighbourhood,” Barron said.

Join the conversation and have your say by commenting below. Our comment system uses a Facebook plugin. Please note that you'll have to turn off some ad-blockers in order to see the comments.

Edit Module

Follow us on Twitter @PostCity for more on what to eat, where to shop and what to do in Toronto.

Edit ModuleShow Tags

You may also like...

80-storey mixed use building approved for the corner of Yonge and Bloor

80-storey mixed use building approved for the corner of Yonge and Bloor

Local residents association argues developer Sam Mizrahi rushed development process
Posted 2 days ago
Stintz on Midtown: The pros and cons of privatizing the Toronto Parking Authority

Stintz on Midtown: The pros and cons of privatizing the Toronto Parking Authority

There are about 160 lots in the city. Privatizing parking is a simple process: the city works out a deal with a private operator to receive an up front payment of cash, and in return, the private operator can manage the parking spots for a period of time.
Posted 4 days ago
Developer wants to build on sliver of land across from Summerhill LCBO

Developer wants to build on sliver of land across from Summerhill LCBO

One person’s vacant sliver of land is another’s development opportunity. Or at least that seems to be the case for the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Birch Avenue across from the Summerhill LCBO.
Posted 5 days ago
North York’s Bathurst Manor Plaza closing down

North York’s Bathurst Manor Plaza closing down

After decades of serving the surrounding area, Bathurst Manor Plaza closed for good on July 31, marking the end of an era.
Posted 1 week ago
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit Module