This crust is a terrific substitute, instead of the butter or lard crusts that add up in excess calories and fat.
Nutritional value per serving: 213 calories, 12 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat.
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 tbsp 2% evaporated milkFilling
- 3 oz boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup grated old white Cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 9 pie pan with vegetable oil.
- Cover potatoes with water and bring to boil. Cook for 15 minutes or just until potatoes are cooked. Drain, mash and add remaining ingredients for crust. Pat into bottom and sides of pan and bake for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in skillet sprayed with vegetable oil, dust chicken with flour, add oil and saute for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Set aside. Wipe out pan and respray. Saute onion with oil and garlic for 3 minutes. Add peppers and saute for 3 minutes. Add back the chicken.
- In small bowl, mix whole eggs, egg substitute, milk and cheeses. Add to chicken mixture and pour into potato crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until quiche is set.