Restaurant Update: Biff’s dries out and a bridge builder gets a bar
Escargots with 'nduja, Parisienne gnocchi and Bayonne chips from Biff’s redone dinner menu.
Image: David Ort
If not technically summer-like the weather report for this weekend is promising plenty of sun. Just in time, one of downtown’s best restaurant patios, at Biff’s on Front, has reopened.
- The well-heeled burghers of Rosedale and Summerhill have a new watering hole in the form of Clocktower Bar on Yonge St. across from — you guessed it — the recognizable Summerhill LCBO.
- Biff's Bistro reopened this week with a retooled menu and a new design. O&B’s Front St. bistro has been closed since a pipe burst the day before Valentine’s Day and caused a major flood.
- Third-place finisher in our poutine taste test, Poutini’s, is opening a second location. This one will be a little bit less west-end than the first when it opens at 617 King St. W.
- Remember Das Gasthaus, the Danforth restaurant that was put up for raffle? Turns out the winner passed and the space is going to be home to a restaurant called The Edmund Burke. The name, by the way, refers to the architect who designed the Prince Edward Viaduct over the Don Valley and not the 18th century political philosopher.
- NOW Magazine reported that Anthony Rose is adding a Big Crow to his Queen West operation.
- Karolyne Ellacott went old school with Café Polonez on Roncy for her lunch pick.
- We had a First Look at Uncle Tetsu’s new Japanese maid-style café.
- And Jon Sufrin wonders how it fits into our current debate about the ethics of restaurant and bar uniforms.
- To get set for Earth Day we had Zane Caplansky, Toronto’s deli baron, in to help us pick the city’s best veggie burger.
- Batch is the fourth brewpub to go into the space at 75 Victoria St. and we have a First Look at the restaurant that looks to be on track for success.
- Everyone has their favourite Portuguese custard tart. Did yours make our list of the best in Toronto?
- Joanne Kates was dazzled by the food at Rickshaw Bar on Queen West.
Changes and Other News
- The bar that Grant van Gameren and partners are opening in Parkdale now has a name. Listeners to Zane Caplansky’s Newstalk 1010 show, Let’s Eat were the first to learn that it’s going to be called Pretty Ugly.